Friday, April 11, 2014

Vegan Banana Bread

I've been watching a ton of vegan/vegetarian/health documentaries recently since my half yearly exams finished. It's really opened my mind to different ways of eating, especially the benefits of plant based diets.

These documentaries (such as Earthlings, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead - these are just a few that I've watched) have made me realise that I want to make a difference in this world, I want to co-exist with the environment. 

Nevertheless, I guess this post is somewhat fitting - I've got a recipe for vegan banana bread! (Note: this recipe is adapted from The Healthy Maven :) ) 


INGREDIENTS

4 ripe bananas
2 cups of wholewheat flour
1/3 cup almond meal or LSA mix
1 tsp cinnamon (or more if you'd like)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 applesauce mixed with 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or vegan butter)
1/4 maple syrup
1/2 almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


METHOD
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
  2. Combine flour, almond meal, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
  3. Mash bananas in a separate bowl, adding applesauce, oil, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla extract.
  4. Mix all ingredients together, then scoop mixture into a lined bread tin.
  5. Bake for 60 minutes, then leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
  6. Enjoy! (ps - this banana bread tastes awesome toasted with some peanut butter)





More food/health/life posts are to come soon :)

Alessandra x

No comments:

Post a Comment